Living in a capitalist society, we are often consumed by the thoughts of productivity – how can we be better? how we can earn more? what we should do in order to have a better life? We spend our sleepless nights worrying about the future, about how we can survive next year and the year after, and about the future of our loved ones. So much so that we often forget about the things that have helped us survive last year, last month, or even yesterday.
This morning I woke up with my heart trembling and my eyes watering.
My dream made me realize how lucky I am to have certain people in my life and what my life would have been like last year without them.
Think about it… there are actually not many people in our lives that we could say “we may not have survived last year without them.”
- Those who believe in us and help us restore and retain our self-belief, self-confidence, hopes, and dreams.
- Those who always listen, understand, and support us mentally and emotionally – making us feel the depth of our existence and that our voices are heard and valued.
- Those whom we can always count on – to drive us home when we’re drunk, to help us with little things without questions, and to be by our bedside in the hospital. They are the people we feel confident enough in the relationship or friendship to put their names down as our “Emergency Contacts”.
- Those who support us financially when we really need help – even if it was as little as a good meal.
- Those who give our lives meaning and purpose. Our lives have become fulfilled with them in the picture. They make us look forward to waking up everyday.
Close your eyes for a second and think about the people who would have made your year very different if they weren’t there… who would have made your life harder if they weren’t there… who would have made you unhappy if they weren’t there.
Life is too short to let time pass by without showing appreciation to those we deserve it. Give them a hug and tell them how thankful you feel to have them in your life.
A heartfelt Thank You goes a long way.